Thursday, August 21, 2008

Albert Bierstadt Sacramento River Valley painting

Albert Bierstadt Sacramento River Valley paintingAlbert Bierstadt The Mountain Brook paintingAlbert Bierstadt Bridal Veil Falls Yosemite painting
the way they'd shunned me when I smelt of soap. Rather, they were wary but not displeased, as if a randy buck had come upon them. I noted with satisfaction that pretty Hedda seemed especially flustered. She snorted when I stroked her ears; speaking softly I made bold to touch one speckled teat, never yet swollen with the charge of motherhood, and she danced away -- but not far, and looked back wide-eyed over her shoulder. Max laughed with me, and hesitantly squeezed my arm. He had not slept either, it appeared; but in his face was much relief.
"So," he said. "You made your mind up?"
"Almost," I replied. "There's something I want to do first." Then I added quickly, for his old eyes clouded: "But I'm all right, Max. I'll know in a little while."
He nodded. "That's so; I see that. Well, well. . ." As if to calm himself he began explaining that the herd would remain in the pound until dinnertime, as he had work to do in the Livestock Branch of the Library, just across the Road. He was currently engaged with several notions in the field of applied cyclology, his own invention; perhaps I too would

No comments: