Monday, August 25, 2008

Albert Moore Idyll painting

Albert Moore Idyll paintingAlbert Moore Garden paintingAlbert Moore Apples painting
nothing for want of such rigor as had been his lot.
"I run away from home at the age of fourteen," he said proudly. "Not that it was much of a Home, with Paw a-drinkin' and Maw forever a-layin' the Good Book on me." The actual nature and location of his birthplace I could not discern: sometimes it appeared to have been the meanest hovel, sometimes a place of ancient grandeur. In any case he'd abandoned it, his parents, his patrimony and hied him into wilderness departments, to live off the land. His motives, as he characterized them, were praiseworthy: the pursuit of independence and escape from the debilitating influence of corrupt tradition. "My folks and me, we come to a fork in the road," he said: "they had their notions and I had mine, that's everything there was to it."
But Max questioned this assertion. "Yes, well, the way I read once, you were hooky-playing from school always,ja? And making trouble till they ran you out?"
Greene reckoned cheerfully that he'd made his share of mischief now and again, and acknowledged further that on his voyage into the wild, in amade vessel, he'd been accompanied by another fugitive, a Frumentian from a South-Quad chain-

No comments: