Friday, August 22, 2008

Francois Boucher The Toilet of Venus painting

Francois Boucher The Toilet of Venus paintingFrancois Boucher Madame de Pompadour paintingFrancois Boucher Adoration of the Shepherds painting
missing one. But my sharp attention to what he said did not retard me.
"So we blew and we blew; two times tonight we did; and just when G. Herrold took his breath to blow the one last time -- what did you hear, my boy?"
"There was a different sound," I said. "It wasn't our horn."
"It was the EAT-whistle!" Max cried. "I never thought till then how it wouldn't mean nothing you should answer to the buckhorn anyhow. But the EAT-whistle, that they blow it from the Power Plant for riot-drills -- that's what fetched you! It's just right!"
Privately I wondered how Max accounted, since his change of mind, for the element of Dunce and Dean o' Flunks in me, which themselves had been discovered by his experimenting. I chose not to ask, but felt compelled at least to observe that I had waked already and was prepared to set out before I'd heard the stranger sound.
"That's okay!" Max insisted. "But what if it wasn't okay? Suppose I said it proves you're only George the Goat-Boy, let's turn ?"
As I could think of no reply, I walked on without comment.

No comments: