Friday, August 22, 2008

Rene Magritte The Blank Check painting

Rene Magritte The Blank Check paintingSir Lawrence Alma-Tadema In the Tepidarium paintingGeorges Seurat Sunday Afternoon on the Island of la Grande Jatte painting
that had waked me. But I saw a riddling seriousness in the question -- it had the air more of a sentry's challenge than a query -- and at the same moment I understood that twice before in recent nights it was the sound of our actual shophar which had figured in my dreams.
"It's time I matriculated," I said.
"You know what you're going to do, do you?"
"I'll know once I get there."
"So." All this while Max stood before me, straining close to see my face in the dim light. "And you know the way? It's not easy."
"I'll find it," I declared.
"Ja, well. But come on back now, G. Herrold fixes you a box-lunch and packs some things. Wait till daylight, you can see your way better."
But I declined, observing the hour was already late, too late almost, and that as for food and extra clothing, I could not be burdened with them. Truly I was impatient to be off: if he would accept hasty, heartfelt thanks for all he'd done for me -- and

No comments: